If you are moving to Winnipeg with your partner and children, you will need to learn about the different services available to you, as well as some of the laws around family in Canada as they may differ from your home country.


There are public and private school options throughout Winnipeg. Public education in Manitoba is free to all Canadian citizens, permanent residents, and eligible temporary residents. English and French are the languages of instruction in Manitoba. Schools that provide French language instruction offer instruction for students who speak French as their first language, and those where French is their second language.

For more information about going to school in Manitoba visit edu.gov.mb.ca/k12/schools/gts.html.

Winnipeg Public School Information

There are great public schools in our city in both English and French.  You can find more information on how to select and enroll at winnipegsd.ca/ourschools/Pages/default.aspx.

Winnipeg Private School Information

In addition to public schools, there are a number of excellent private schools in Winnipeg.  Additional Winnipeg Language Programs: Certain schools in the city offer language programs in Spanish, Ukrainian, Hebrew, Cree, and Ojibwe. 


There are two types of licensed programs available for your child: child care centres and child care homes.

Licensed early learning and child care centres include:

  • Infant programs
  • Full-time preschool programs
  • Part-time programs or nursery schools
  • School-age programs

Licensed early learning and child care in homes include:

  • Family child care homes
  • Group child care homes

For more information about child care or financial assistance for child care fees, please contact Child Care Information Services at 204-945-0776, toll-free 1-888-213-4754, or email cdcinfo@gov.mb.ca.

Economic Development Winnipeg

Suite 810, One Lombard Place
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Canada R3B 0X3

Report Builder

Sign up for our newsletter & blog