In Canada, there are two types of taxes levied: the Provincial Sales Tax (PST), and the Federal Government Goods and Services Tax (GST).  These taxes are used to fund government programs and services. In Manitoba, the GST is 5% , and the PST is 7%. Each province has a different PST rate and some provinces combine the federal and provincial taxes as a Harmonized Sales Tax (HST).

For more information about GST/PST visit the Manitoba Government website at

Income Taxes

In Canada, anyone who is a resident and who has an income must report it every year by filing taxes.The Government of Canada website defines income as, money you earn through employment, self-employment, and investments you have, or benefits you receive.

On your return, you must report income from all sources, both inside and outside Canada. This is true even if you were paid in cash, which includes money you earn as a side job or tips you have received.

The income tax year runs from January to December, and income taxes are filed for the previous year. The deadline to file income taxes is April 30 of each year (e.g.,2019 taxes should to be filed by April 29, 2020). 

The Canada Revenue Agency can request your tax documents at anytime, so it is recommended you keep all your tax files for at least for six years, although the more tax files you have available the better.

Are you required to file taxes? If you were in Canada on December 31 of the tax year, you are considered a resident of Canada and you are required to file your taxes. You must file if you had paid employment during that  time. There may be some exceptions to this, and it is important to speak with a tax professional if you believe you fall into a non-traditional circumstance.

Economic Development Winnipeg

Suite 810, One Lombard Place
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Canada R3B 0X3

Report Builder

Sign up for our newsletter & blog