Before leaving your country of origin make sure you bring original copies of documents such as birth certificates and passports, as well as a few copies of the original documents that you and your family might need in Canada. Please keep in mind these might take some time to receive, depending on the country you are living, so it is a good idea to apply for/request them shortly after you decide to move.

Examples of these documents include, but are not limited to:

  • Birth certificate
  • Passport
  • Marriage Certificate (if applicable)
  • Divorce Certificate (if applicable)
  • Death Certificate (for a deceased spouse)
  • Educational diplomas, certificates, and transcripts
  • Health records (including vaccination records, list of prescription medications)
  • Driver’s license
  • Proof of permanent resident status in current country of residence (if applicable)
  • Recent police check from your home country 

You may need to have some of these documents translated and notarized before coming to Canada. If that is the case, make sure you bring copies of the translated and notarized documents along with the originals. However, please keep in mind that translations can also be done in Canada through translation service companies, as well as the Immigrant Centre.

Economic Development Winnipeg

Suite 810, One Lombard Place
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Canada R3B 0X3

Report Builder

Sign up for our newsletter & blog